Sunday, October 3, 2010

CH 3 Commentary

        In Chapter three culture is defined as the collective programming of the mind which distinguishes the members of one groupor category of people from another. I agree with this definition that was proposed from the word's of the foremost cross-cultural expert, Geert Holfsteade.
       I do not think some higher being acknowledged some particular person and assigned them a specific culture that correlated with the place in which they were from. I beleve it is the way your brain is correlated to recognize a person, and then you assign them a culture. For instance, if you meet someone that speaks spanish you may automatically assume that since they speak Spanish they are from Spain this is not always the case. I, myself speak Spanish but my father is from Havana, Cuba hence why I speak Spanish. My mother on the other hand is from the Azores but cannot speak a lick of Portuguese. I agree with the point that there is no strict one to one correspondence between cultures and nation-states exists.
        In the beginning of chapter three an opening case is presented about culture. The culture it is focused on is the religion of Muslim. Muslim is a great religion to focus in on considering their current status in the United States. It saddens me as to how uneducated my country really is when it comes to respecting other cultures or beliefs. The U.S. or majority of the U.S. automatically labeled the entire Muslim population as terrorists post September 11th. The truth is Al-Qaeda are the true terrorists. Not the Muslim families who are just trying to make it in their every-day lives such as we are in the U.S. They are human beings such as us, just people who believe in something different. I feel as if people only regress hen it comes to situations as these. It goes to show history truly does repeat itself no matter how much you try to educate a population.

No comments:

Post a Comment